For the nursery I want to DIY as many projects as I could for the decor and after researching mobiles I knew I didn’t want to spend $40 on buying one. I don’t have a nursery theme but I thought with the stenciled cloud wall a hot air balloon mobile would be perfect. I found this tutorial and mostly followed her instructions, except I used my sewing machine and not hand stitching to complete the balloons. Using colorful pieces of felt I cut out 8 of these shapes per balloon. To make the balloons a bit more detailed I cut off the tops of the shape and sewed them on to one of another color.I used my sewing machine to stitch together the 8 pieces.and left an opening at the bottom on the last one to turn it inside out and stuff it with polyfil.. Once stuffed I used a small circle of felt and hand sewed it over the opening..I then used pieces of wine corks and hand sewed them on so they would hang like a basket. I also sewed a couple little clouds and stuffed them..and made a tiny bunting for this balloon.. I used more felt to cover the piece it hangs from and hot glued the balloons to ribbon. and here’s the completed mobile! I think it turned out really cute and I just love it. Hopefully baby R will too;) xoJess
I went back and forth over what to do with the nursery colors, paint, and theme but I kept going back to a more neutral look that wasn’t too “baby”ish if ya know what I mean. I had pinned a similar cloud wall for inspiration and decided to go for it, using what we had at home too.
Here’s what we did:
My husband drew the cloud onto a piece of cardboard which I cut out and taped around the edges to prevent the cardboard going soggy from paint. He then measured out where each cloud would go. This was complicated because we both are terrible at measuring and math, so I won’t explain how we measured. He put blue painters tape where each cloud stencil would line up with. We taped up the stencil then painted using a mini sponge roller. Our walls are super textured so I was worried about the edges bleeding/blurring outside the lines, but it worked really well. I did have to touch up missed spots the next day but overall the project took us 4 hours one Sunday afternoon. I think it turned out so well, I just love it. There’s lots of tutorials out there on how to do this if you are interested as well. xoxojess